Monday, August 27, 2012

A guide to thrift store Halloween costume making


In my life, I think I've had one, maybe two, store bought Halloween costumes.  One was a smiling scream mask, before the movie was even in production.  Oh to be in 6th grade again.... Other than that, they've been repurposed clothing pieces, fully homemade outfits, and of course, thrift store scores.  I thought it might be helpful to the internet to have yet another guide to making a really creative, totally unique costume using thrift store clothes and items.

Rule 1: Start Early
You are only going to be frustrated and extremely limited with your choices if you start a week before Halloween or any costume party.  Thrift shopping takes time.  The stores themselves are often spread out around an area.  In my neighborhood of Philly, there are about 5 in walking distance (and I include lower-cost consignment shops in my list):
and it is a 3 mile walk between them, not mentioning the walk getting to the first from my house and the walk home from the last .  Since it's the city, I always recommend walking rather than driving; in all of these areas, you could take just as long to find parking as walking.  So instead of bum-rushing every store in town over one arduous day in late October, I find it's much easier to do a little bit every so often when I'm in the immediate areas of these stores.  And that could take about two months to cover all the ones I like, in far away places like Manayunk, the Northeast, and even the Mainline.  

Rule 2: Be Flexible
I am very susceptible to falling in love with an idea before it can possibly materialize.  This has led to a lot of creativity over the years, but also a lot of heartache.  When I wanted to be Mintberry Crunch, I was unpleasantly surprised that green pants were extremely difficult to find in thrift stores (or even in cheap regular stores).  And while I was looking for those green pants, I must have looked over hundreds of other cool pieces that could have made excellent costumes, if only I weren't in love with Mintberry Crunch that year.  So from that, I have learned: start with a few favorite ideas, but also keep your eyes open for other appealing items.  

Then, you won't waste your time looking for the "perfect" pair of pleather pants in your size for a Joan Jett costume (preferably in black), while sitting in front of you is an amazing white satin suit that would be an amazing Freddie Mercury on you.  


Rule 3: Be realistic about your limits as a crafter
Again, this is one that I fail repeatedly.  In the heat of the moment, I assume that I can alter anything, dye anything, make any accessory necessary, and that can end up a monumental waste of money (because even thrift items can add up), time, and energy...not to mention the heartache mentioned above.  If you or someone you know is an amazing seamstress, than by all means, buy that dress that's 3 sizes too large or too small, and make the best of it, since it is, after all, only a costume intended for a few hours of wear.  But if you have only sewn a single apron, and that was back in high school home-ec, search for easier project.  It will be better in the long run than trying to turn a fluffy 80's prom dress that looks like a sack on you into a tailored Elizabethan gown.  And definitely don't attempt a totally new craft without practicing on scrap materials first!

But at the same time, don't be afraid to think outside the box.  Between fusible webbing, fabric glue, and all the basically-ready-to-wear items in craft stores these days, it's not too difficult to find a way to turn anything into nearly anything, as long as the basic foundation is there.  And if you keep your costs down, it's not the end of the world if you can't make a $5 dress and $3 of supplies into the costume of your dreams.  In fact, it might just be the practice you need to make the next one even better!

I hope this helps in your quest for a cheap and creative costume!  Since I've already started my hunt for my 2012 halloween costume, I will document my triumphs and tribulations for the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment