Wednesday, September 5, 2012

knitting my way into autumn

Now that it's unofficially autumn, with Labor Day behind us, I feel much more excited about the prospect of the cooler months.  Months filled with hot cider, pumpkins, and of course, lots of yarn.

I've announced a personal moratorium on buying new yarn until my stash starts to dwindle.  That means finishing up projects I already started as well as using small balls of yarn, not even half a skein big.

Here are two small yarn projects so far: a knitted bangle bracelet and a crocheted collar.



Both had their ups and downs.  For the collar, I was working without a pattern, which is what crochet is great for.  However, it also means ripping out a stitch here, a few more there, and then constantly trying it on to make sure the size and shape work.  

The upside?  I now have an awesome accessory following one of fall's coolest trends, IMHO.  Collars are everywhere this year!

Felted Square Collar from Anthropologie

Kate Spade Necklace from Nordstrom

Modeste Bib Collar from Anthropologie

The bangle bracelet was a little simpler, but also more boring.  Each row was 12 stitches of knitting, followed by a row of 12 purls.  Back and forth.  Over and over.  Luckily I got it done in one night, or I would have dropped the project, like so many others.  

Oh, and just to be clear, there is a wooden bangle under the knitting.  It had a crack in it since the day after I bought it, so I never wore it, but kept it anyway.  I also have another matching bangle, so I'm going to cover it with a variegated yarn this time.


Oh, and in case you are wondering, there is no special reason I'm using a double point knitting needle for this project.  They are the only needles I have in that size (I think a 5?) and since the piece is narrow, I can use these without the knitting falling off the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment