Friday, October 19, 2012

Sriracha Halloween Costume

My husband loves sriracha sauce.  And since I love my husband, I decided to make him a Halloween costume that is easy to wear and fun for me to knit.

Behold, the iconic bottle cap, in hat form:

I knit it using Sugar'N Cream cotton yarn that I've had hanging around for ages.  Bonus: since the hat is cotton, and not wool or heavy synthetic, it has a good change of being breathable and comfortable on Halloween, thus ensuring that it actually gets worn, not just put on for pictures and then taken off to avoid sweat and overheating.

I didn't take too many notes while knitting, but if I remember correctly. the ribbed bottom is 150 stitches on a 3.25mm circular knitting needles (US size 3).  I just purled 3, knit 1 then repeat.  I did about 6 inches worth of rows and folded the bottom hem under about 2 inches, just to reinforce the shape.

The cone nozzle is about 100 stitches cast onto the same size needles, although I used double pointed needles so that I could decrease the size so much at the top.  I pretty much decreased a stitch at six points in the round, then knit regularly for three rows; decreased a stitch in 6 places, knit regularly; etc.  At the top to make it a little longer, I knitted 4 to 5 rows between decrease rows.

The cone is stuffed with polyester batting, and there is a little piece of scrap fabric inside holding it in place, just sewn with a messy whip stitch.
This is how the hat looks when it's just hanging.  I thought this demonstrated the shape and construction a little better.
For the rest of the costume, we took the easy way out and ordered a shirt from Etsy, specifically from I Heart Analogue.  
Also, if the hat survives a couple of years, I can reuse it as the top of a green crayon costume.  

No comments:

Post a Comment